These aren’t necessarily New Year’s resolutions, though I am not opposed to those. It’s been a long time since I’ve done them. I like facing a new year with some sense of resolution, control, and energy for betterment. I also think that kind of energy and resolution should be throughout your life, and there’s nothing wrong with Summer resolutions, Birthday resolutions, and random strikes of inspiration throughout the year.
As someone with anxiety I have found that focusing on the things I can control help a great deal when everything around me seems complete chaos. I’m not going to sugar coat it, I have been struggling. These past years with the pandemic, the political nonsense, the negativity, and disharmony are weighing me down heavily … and it’s not over.
So, I get it. A lot of people are cracking jokes about not allowing 2022 to come, not jinxing 2022 with phrases about how it’s going to be great, etc, not bothering with resolutions. It’s easy to feel particularly bowed down as 2022 marched forward anyway. You can’t stop time.
Well, what I’m going to do is share with you what I want to focus on. Call them resolutions, goals, attempts at sanity … call them what you will. I am trying to give myself some things I can control and focus on. In no particular order …
- Read more! With the wonderful invention of Audible I have listened to a great number of books I wouldn’t have had the time to sit down and read through. I am a very slow reader. However, I went through my bookshelf a few days ago and pulled out books that I need to read/finish that aren’t on Audible. I want to focus on these before I get more books (yes, laugh away … it’s not going to happen. But maybe I can read one or two before I give in)
- Focus on healing. I’ve gone into this more on my Instagram (dmp_writes). I am open about the fact that I had a miscarriage and it effected my health. Though I don’t think this or Instagram is the best platform to go into everything I do want to be vulnerable about it. It’s an extremely difficult thing to process, especially when it damaged my body. This year I’m going to focus not on how many miles I want to run or how much weight I’d like to lose or one day getting back into triathlons. For now, I am acknowledging the only thing I should be focused on is doing what I can to heal. This is really hard for me. Some of you who know my athletic background, so you know what I mean. I used to do Kung Fu, triathlons, and run races with my husband. I love lifting and being active. But, validating where you are physically and what your body needs is so incredibly important, and that’s what I’m going to do.
- Write more!!! Yeah … that should have been at the top of my list. I’ve realized after my husband and I moved I never set myself up my own space to write. Currently, I have to move stuff around on my husband’s work desk and connect my laptop to a port that allows me to type on a better keyboard (which is nice) and on a much bigger screen (which disconnects constantly and makes me feel like I’m losing my mind). So, I have begun the steps of setting myself up a little ME space where I can write, and I think that will make a big difference.
- Draw more. Again, you’ll find more pics of my drawing journey on Instagram, so feel free to connect with me there to see some more day-to-day things. I had been taking lessons with a darling retired teacher, but my chronic pain got in the way and then mental health and it’s just been a giant snowball of yuck. I do want to take up lessons again and keep drawing and painting because I have found it to be something I really enjoy.
- Learn the Chicago Manual of Style: Yes, I bought the ridiculously heavy Chicago style of editing for my editing work and also for my own enrichment. It’s a bit intimidating, but I believe as an editor I need to study.
The next thing is sort of a reveal, so if you’re reading this you get a little sneak peek (lucky you!) and then anyone who acts surprised by this news later I’ll know doesn’t read my blog 🙂
I am taking steps towards doing a YouTube channel. This channel will be basically all the things I do on here, but in a different format that (I hope!) will draw more people in. So far, the things I plan on doing on my YouTube are interviews, picture book reviews, discussing the craft of writing, and of course sharing what I am working on. Like I said, an extension of this 🙂 We will see how it goes.
That’s pretty much the big points for me for this year. I hope this year brings to you hope, peace, strength, joy, love, and inspiration.
I’m cheering for you!