Why do you write?
- I write for the joy it brings me. I write to purge. I constantly have stories bumping around in my head and the only way to get peace is to release the beasts onto paper (or into my laptop). Most stories will never break out of the folder I shove them into. I hope the ones that are good enough to make it to you become the ones you reread and share.
What do you write?
- My heart is in picture books, but I have a growing interest in YA. I also have a few NA projects. I enjoy tackling poetry and short stories. I am not limited to one genre.
What is your career?
- Full-time wife/mother/pet-mom. I work full time in an non-writing-related field to help with bills. I am also an author and editor for HCS Publishing as well as the Director of their Children’s Division.
What have you published?
- Please visit my Published Works page.
What do you read?
- It’s important to read! I collect picture books. I love fantasy like Lord of The Rings, and adore Harry Potter. I also enjoy everything Sir Terry Pratchett. Some of my favorite authors include Kate DiCamillo, Jim Butcher, Delia Sherman, Tad Hills, Dr. Seuss, Charles Dickens, Nathanial Hawthorn, and Arthur Miller. I try to be open in what I read not only because it inspires me, but because reading broadens my understanding and experience of the world.
Where are you from?
- I grew up in the beautiful state of Virginia and still reside there.
What is your favorite color?
- Red – the color of passion.
Where have you traveled?
- So far China, Southeast Asia, Japan, Australia, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Bahamas. I love traveling and experiencing different cultures. I hope to explore Europe soon.
If you could have any kind of pet what would it be?
- A dragon (preferably red).
What is your education?
- Master of Fine Arts in Children’s Literature from Hollins University.
- Bachelor of Arts in English from Cedarville University.
If you would like to know more about me, please contact me and you may see your question and my answer posted here.
Photo credit: Anne Ryan Dempsey. Click here to visit her blog.