My dad flew F-14 tom cats in the Navy, then flew for USAir after he retired. He taught me and my siblings the importance of hard work and dedication. Dreaming is awesome, and one should reach for the stars, but one must also work towards those dreams. I have always dreamed of being a published author, but I also had to put in the work to achieve my dream. I am grateful for his love and support; and I of course think it’s super cool to say, “My dad was a pilot” 🙂
- Mr. Weasley (Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling) – loving, genuine, compassionate, generous, strong, and just the right amount of quirky.
- James Potter (Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling) – though we get mixed comments on his character, he sacrificed himself for his son. No greater love.
- Harry Dresden (The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher) – (spoiler alert) we haven’t really seen him fully in the role of father yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be awesome!
- Mr. Bennet (Pride and Predjudice by Jane Austen) – Mix of sense and humor, and a safe haven for Elizabeth.
- Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee) – What better lesson to teach your children then to stay your ground and fight for the truth!
- Bob Cratchit (A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens) – loyal, and a good soul. Does his best for his family in the worse times.
- Nate Pullman (Wonder by R. J. Palacio) – incredible and unique relationship with his deformed son. Considering the book I read after this the father left his family when his son was born with physical difficulties, it made this character all the more amazing.
- Dad (Gator Dad by Brian Lies) – adorable picture book about a father who handles taking care of his children like a champ!
- Mr. Aching (The Tiffany Aching series by Sir Terry Prachett) – a wonderful comfort to Tiffany, a source of strength for the town, and also a bit quirky.
- Mr. Jones (Coraline by Neil Gaiman) – what stuck out the most about him was his willingness to stand and be stung by the bees so Coraline could run away. He is so brave and loving and, though he is often too busy for her, there is no questioning is love for her.
Who would you add to this list?